The Karl Marx Stadt has been a great start for my Eurorack adventure. I initially planned to build, and have been building most of my modules myself using a mix of kits, schematics, and my own inventiveness; this affordable all-in-one setup is a superb basis for my mostly DIY rack. On its own, the Doepfer DIY synth is probably pretty good, with XAOC's KMS interface, it blossoms:

Like many people, I ordered some modules before really understanding what I would be needing or how it all works. I am lucky that this was the first module I received because I was able to start learning the flow of things from day 1. As I built other modules to add to my rack, I kept finding useful features, like the VCA is actually a 3 channel mixer into dual input VCA! This is obviously useful when a second VCF and VCO came online. The fact that the onboard filter takes 2 audio inputs as well as 2 control voltages means that there is plenty of room to grow and learn with this unit over time and with new modules. The build quality is good, it feels solid and works consistently; I am the second owner, and there are absolutely no issues.

Hopefully, this review helps someone else new understand what is available in this module. Couple the Karl Marx Stadt with a simple CV sequencer(with its own clock) and you have a fully functioning synth now and the basis for expanding with any module you want, since the basics are covered.

Thanks XAOC!
-PK

It is complete. And now besides totally enjoying this beauty, I'm working on another rig.

Richard Thomson

Beatstep Pro seems great :)
Can you recommend some In/out Interface?

A really nice thing to use is the Beatstep Pro. Worth checking it out as a possible option. It can run 2 sequences and also a drum sequence at once :D

gonna check whats the best converter for the money, the basic tools is what's scares me the most :) don't know if i'm missing something important.

I live in Portugal and i could get a basic system for 1800€ with Case on Thomann. But i've tried one and feel exactly what you've said,it sounds cool but not so special.I think it's better if i build my one even if it's way more difficult and expensive...

With an octotrack, you'll need a midi to cv converter. There's some cheap single channel options, nice complex ones with their own sequencing like Mutable Instruments Yarns. You could also get an Arturua Beatstep Pro which which convert midi but also sequence modular gear on its own. For less $ that modular midi-cv converters.

Doepfer? They have some good stuff, but the Basic System is mostly good if you want to do very basic, subtractive synthesis patching. And depending on where you live, not exactly the best deal. In Europe, Doepfer is much cheaper, but in the U.S. isn't that 'competitive'. Much of it is super simple and requires many more modules to cover what some more modern designs (like intellijel and make noise) can accomplish. ie, to cover complex osc territory like a dpo, you're going to need 2x a-111, and pair of vcas, a wavefolder, etc. Much more expensive and more HPs. I started with a lot of Doepfer, but sold it once I knew what I wanted.

I would like to use my elektron octatrack as a sequencer and maybe some MIDI/USB Keyboard, which tools do i need?
By the way, what's your thoughts on Doepfer A-100 Basic Systems?

Well, it's really best to start with a small amount like that, because once you get the basics down, you'll see exactly what you personally need. It's really different for everyone.

How do you plant to control this? MIDI? Sequencer? Etc.

Thank you for the fast reply!
Ok,didn't know that.
Do you add something to the the rack or you think it's fine for starters?

Thank you once again

Definitely. You could do a lot with that. Keep in mind though, the black limited make noise panels are only for the complete black shared system. You can't (yet) buy a black DPO separately.

Hello,
This is my first post and my first modular adventure :)
Is this a good starting point? I'm kind of lost in all the possibilities.

Thank You, Regards

A big thanks to @bentoncbainbridge for sending a Stillson Hammer to the Netherlands!

Thread: Zlob filter?

Hi guys!
I'm about to purchase a spring reverb and a filter, since I have 10hp free I have to find the perfect combination.
I was thinking about buy the Springray I would need a 4hp filter and I found the Zlob state variable filter (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/zlob-zlob-modular-t-h-state-variable-voltage-controlled-filter) which seems good! 2 inputs, HP, BP and LP...
My question is, Anyone have any experience with that? Does it sounds good?

Thanks!!

Hi,
Olivier of Mutable Instruments posted it 2 years ago. Can you remove this duplicate, please?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/mutable-instruments-cvpal

Thread: Single Row

Small and Mighty sound machine!

Spectacular!

Richard Thomson

Any preliminary findings?

Thread: Bug Report

On Chrome, Win7 as well. Also have forgetting module placement errors / reverts. Also, placing new module will sometimes place it on top of another already placed module and occasional "clean up the mess" when there is no mess. Silly kitteh.

Thread: Bug Report

Frequently bugging out when dragging modules about.

error

Also frequently "forgetting" module placement and reverting to an earlier layout.

Chrome, Win7.

Cheers

Its now fully installed and ready for testing.

Richard Thomson

Price ?? How nice that would be, make it € 5400 and you are correct

L K H

I would assume PWM Mod is for doing things like connecting LFO's to modulate the pulse width amount, and the PWM knob is to change the amount that is mixed into the sound

RAS syndrome
-- chartrekhan

Redundant superfluous needless words I learnt today.
But besides PWM mod theres also PWM on the module so it might modulate the modulator :)

Accidentally deleted my request for feedback.
My Cut & Paste is in its final stages of completion. I'm just waiting on the ModeMix & G8.

Richard Thomson

55hp left. Added DPO. couple trades. case is really playable. lovin it. almost at my 2yr modular jump anniversary.

"PWM Mod"

someone at EMW has RAS syndrome

Thread: 1

edit: solved.

Maybe I should rename it The Controller Rack?
I will be putting this together by the end of the week as the modules are just starting to reach my doorstep.

Richard Thomson

True, I've been ogling that for a while. Also, yes, a row of drums. Probably with a circadian rythm? Or what kind of drum modules would people advice here?

If you like the erbe-verb, maybe check out the echophon too? Pretty neat delay. Also adding drums would be nice, you've got a full empty row so you could do it if you wanted :D

ModularGrid Rack

[img]https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_77564.jpg[/img]

I would like to know where I can go next? What I'm missing?
I'm searching for a quantizer that's good like the ADDAC207 or uScale for the Moskwa sequencer. Maybe drums?

My goal is to create ambient/buchlaish music with my modular.

Thank you.

MK So I'm just starting out with this whole modular thing. This has been sort of a dream of mine since I was about 12 and first heard ELP's Tarkus. Well now I can afford this sort of thing. So what I'm eventually going for here is basically two separate two-oscillator paraphonic synth voices and some drum modules all centered around the Intellijel Metropolis and Tiptop Audio Trigger Riot. Along with all the modulation and audio processing that comes with the wonderful world of modular. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

Current eventual additions:

Metropolis and Trigger Riot (will be central to this system)
WMD / SSF Oscillator and Wave Folder
2x Harvestman Polivoks VCO
Harvestman Polivoks ADSR/Amp
Pittsburgh Sequencer
Pittsburgh Timerunner
Some Pittsburgh stuff (dual LFO, Envelope, FLTR [if i can], Mix/Mult, etc..., new delay thing)
Some WMD / SSF stuff (they just have a lot of really cool utility modules)
Intellijel Quadra
Make Noise Maths

ModularGrid Rack

what the xD

I've just noticed this comment now!!! Didn't realise you could comment on racks ... Yeh, this is the default Basis System 2, plus a sequencer row.

I wish I could drop it all at once, but more likely I'll acquire the alt faceplates, build out some of the DIY stuff, build slowly and get experienced. I needed to see the whole shape of it first, though, as a way of building my understanding of what constitutes a balanced rig (albeit a big one). This way, as I grow, I can grow in a balanced way. At least..that's the plan.

holy crap. i hope you're not planning on buying all this at once! this definitely looks a lot more well-rounded imo.

Oh my how this has grown. I feel this is pretty balanced, but I'm still looking for ways to reduce gross redundancies. The biggest struggle for me has been in sequencers - Tiptop Z8000 or Circadian Rhythms? No to both in lieu of Rene and 2xPP + Brains, with Algorhythm and Binary for some counterpoint, all linked together by the A151. While you can never have too much VCA I think I'm OK. The 4xDisting covers a lot of wildcards. Dropped the Piston Honda vs the Braids as I don't think I need two wavetable oscs, and the others are sufficiently distinct to warrant inclusions. Good filter mix, some solid, flexible effects, and lots of love on the clock front from 4ms plus the Wave Boss. Still think the ADDAC Intelligent Quantizer will be a win.

I'll buy the big case (12U 144HP) and fill it in a smart way. Thanks again for your great advice.

(Disting on the left set to clockable LFO and the one on the right is on : Precision adder). Elements is really only being used for the low bass tones, and it's brightness opens up a bit around 2:30 into the track. i'm live tweaking text, size and position knobs and the mixer that's mixing the two lfo's going into Scatter (third function of Blend knob and CV). the other mixer is just being used as two separate attenuators, which also get adjusted live.

WTF? This has to be a false entry.

Perhaps not so much lack of ambition as "the first half of the spend". Trying to create a balanced rack in 6U with enough variety and power (and VCA, since you can't ever have enough VCA) is challenging.

I've struggled over the Turing vs Tiptop sequencer question and for the first cut I opted for fun. Still want a Pressuree Point to modulate on the fly. Plenty of random. Plenty of clock. Should be ok.

Added Clouds today. Been in the clouds all night. Wonderful module :)

Another +1 for @grieve , packed as new, with bonus and nice karma. quick transaction.

Have you looked at the Mutable Instruments Yarns? I think it has more features than the Melody Mill and uses much less space.

Everything seems to be correct now - thanks!

I took a Dual ADSR from @lenni ,nice communication and fast dispatching! But i was unlucky with the DHL delivery dude, who didn't do his job and just set status to refused without seeing me. With the strikes in Germany it took a month for the parcel to return to sender. He followed this up to the end and even used a different service for the second shipment.
Outstanding!

A Eurocrack Pusher: "The first time is for free" ;)

Everything is fixed now!

Im trying to get into modular synthesis. I was thinking this would be a good starting point for simple sequences, with a view to expand each month or so. I chose the critter and guitari for the sequence and midi capability and the doepfer module for multiple features. Size isn't an issue, I was just trying to cover as many bases as possible at first. With regards to the lfo, I have experienced it and really enjoyed it. I want to start with a decent pre amp with character and have always wondered the sounds of a tube modulated via CV bring.

If im going in completely the wrong direction, tell me but i wish to use it to create synced sequences with other equipment.

We will look into this! Thank you for letting us know!