I'm guessing by the date this was modified that this is the setup used by Richard at Bloc 2015. Plus he used some other gear as seen in photos.

Tip Top Circadian Rhythm
- Cant see whats next to the tip top, but it looks like 1 or 2 more modules there.
NordDrum2
Eventide Space
Eventide ??? not sure right now, TimeFactor ? ModFactor ? PitchFactor ?

Modules are shipping now! Added an optional rear-cable routing in case you want to be able to route behind the rack.

Happy to help! :-)

Excellent Ritchie, thank you for your reply you make it much more clear for me now. :)

Actually, drum machines of that era (808, 909, Korg Electribe, etc) didn't have velocity. If you think in terms of sound design, velocity is only something you would find if you were trying to impersonate a real drum, because velocity isn't just about volume--it's about how the character of the drum sound changes depending on how hard you hit it.

The TR-909 was never intended to sound like a real drum kit, hence no velocity. However, these types of machines did have "accent" (and so does your module) in order to make the drum sound hit a little harder, usually on the first beat of each bar.

That being said, if you really want velocity, you might get something resembling velocity by patching the V/V output of your MIDI module to an envelope generator patched to a linear VCA (attenuator in this case, I would think).

The quicker and easier way to do it would be to record your drum module as audio into your DAW, just a single beat as a sample, then use your DAW's sequencer to play the sample with the patterns and velocity you're looking for.

Hello guys,

I am new to the modular world and I need some help about a question that I have. Maybe some of the audio ninjas here can enlighten me.

This is my current mini modular setup:
http://cdn.modulargrid.de/img/racks/modulargrid_164025.jpg

I am sending midi from my DAW to trigger the kicks but they all have the same velocity. Is there a way of having velocities for the kick drums?
Do I need a linear VCA like "Doepfer A-130" in order to have velocities?

Many thanks for your time..

The design has been updated significantly. We are now moving to prototyping. More details on the ishizeno.com website.

What about the MFB Dual LFO? There is a reset trigger for each LFO and it's reasonably priced (I just paid $175 for mine).

Added Disting & STO this week. 12u almost full:

Some guys just need a reality check :)

Is it me or many users here are selling used modules at a higher price than stores?

I think there should be more options availbale, but the Doepfer A147 is a solid option. It's nothing super fancy, but reliable and with all the functionality you'd expect from a VCLFO...

Ascending/Descending sortability on HP. Price too, probably.

-- TidalWaveform

Good one, put that to the list.

About patching on MG:
I would like to choose what colours are used for my patch cables (not by length as of now)!
IRL, I always colour code everything, as in all colours mean something. So much easier to follow a complex patch this way, at least for me...
-- KNYST

That would be quite an effort. The patching feature is not the most used feature of MG, so not top priority...

Beep, Bopp, Bleep: info@modulargrid.net

About patching on MG:
I would like to choose what colours are used for my patch cables (not by length as of now)!
IRL, I always colour code everything, as in all colours mean something. So much easier to follow a complex patch this way, at least for me...

Ascending/Descending sortability on HP. Price too, probably.

Thread: AUDIO KID

Hi Skimmo, thanks for your reply
I've already the A108 and the ZONE B.F , Clouds is nice for sure, but I prefer something very classic as this A108
my question are more about how to complete this mini case.
I think that the A160 can me a nice combo with the ZONE B.F, and the audio divider seems to be a very simple but funny module

Hello, if you're just starting out but you want to have a "mini cube" sized system for drones, pads & filtration, you may want to go with Mutable Instrument's Clouds & Shelves. Clouds is a "Texture Synthesizer" bit it does so many things, all very good for warping and texturing external sound sources. Shelves is an "EQ Filter" which is like a Variable state filter but a but more focused with notching and more modulation options. You might want to watch Div Kid's overview videos of these two modules together. He makes a couple of patches between Clouds & Shelves that are all-in-one drone/pad generators by themselves. Good Luck!

I just discovered the forthcoming A-160-2 module ... think I should wait a bit before to complete my actual minirack (A108 et ZONE B.F)

Thread: beater

Slow build. Switch from Sin out on DPO ch2 to Final out at some point. Vary pitches of DPO channels to create different beating patterns. Increase Phonogene input gain to create "snare." Vary reverb parameters.

Good luck, I did a Slope Generator some time ago. I messed everything up possible but had the ambition to make it work. At the end it did

Hi ! I'm a newbie in the modular world. This rack is planned to filter, modulate audio from sources such as drones & pads.
The audio signal will come from a good mixer with preamps and who will also manage the modular 'hot' output volume (as I get no mixer module or VCA)
I think the A160 will be very nice to play with the LFO or to link to the A115 to create fun patterns.
and also sync the rack to other hardware like my Korg Volca ...

the A108 because low pass filter kind is a daily use in my creations and this one sounds incredible
all these modules will certainly find a good place in a future 6U system or a synthesizer project

Building up the BF-22...

Hey thank you both! Well, I got a playlist on SoundCloud for my modular sessions. Not many tracks in it yet but hopefully there will be with time:

I also got a few YouTube performance demo's of Clouds, Erbe-Verb, K4815 and Z8000. You can see them on my channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Luftrum1

Thread: Bug Report

i can not see patches on iPad/iphone which are on racks bigger than 5 rows. ?
thanks for looking
great application btw.
Christoph

I'm thinking of beginning with modular, start small and combining it with my MiniBrute and Perfourmer. I realy like the Clouds module, so I found your rack here. This Killpatrick pattern generator seems interesting too. Is there any place on the net where we can here some ambient sounds of your modular ? I'm curious.

(soma fm is great ! Have been listening to it for years, drone zone, lush, deep space one !)

Thread: Flame VCDO-4

I guess this one mutated into the 4VOX?

Braids set to SYNC, output run through the VCA and shaped by the Peaks ADSR, triggered by SQ-1 (XXXXXXXX), Timbre modified by Peaks LFO.

Wogglebug output run through the VCA and shaped by the Pittsburgh Synth Block envelope, triggered by the SQ-1 (XOXOXXOO). Output then run through Ripples BP2 filter.

Yeah, it does the softer end quite well. The arpegiator in the MIDI3 is pretty cool... has several different random modes that keep things interesting. And being able to adjust the mix of triangle, saw and square waves lets you dial in all kinds of nice tones. Just don't turn the resonance up too far, and you'll avoid the gnarly. I usually have mine between 1/2 and 2/3... but it's nice knowing I can crank it more if I want.

I just added my first module to my 10.1+, btw. It's the SoundMachines LS-1 Lightstrip. It was unfortunately the only module I was on the market for that my local shops had in stock when I checked on Sunday (but hopefully that'll change soon). It's fun to use as performance trigger and as a programable LFO to modulate the filter. I will say I'm a little disappointed when using it's CV for pitch... it seems a little wobbly or too sensitive or something. But even with that, I still think it's quite worth it. And I bet a quantizer would solve that pitch issue.

I work for a time on my rack and somehow some modules start becoming all black and I cannot see them.

I am using the latest firefox.

Updated front panel.

From the site:
Update February 2015: Due to customers suggestions at NAMM (thank you for these ideas) we will modify the module a bit. A manual control will be added to be able to adjust the clock multiplication factor without the need of an external control voltage. The voltage generated by this additional control ("Manual") is normalled to the CV In socket. As long as no plug is inserted into the CV In socket the clock multiplication factor is adjusted by means of the manual control knob and displayed by the LEDs. For dynamic applications (like the ratcheting function described below) the manually generated CV is overwritten by the external CV which has to be fed into the CV In socket.
One LED (the former "0" display) has been removed to obtain sufficient space for the additional control knob. The "0" state is now simply indicated by "all LEDs off".
An internal pin header has been added for additional functions like start/stop (i.e. to start and stop the output clock by means of start/stop signals even if the clock input still generates a clock). If there are sufficient inquiries we may offer a breakout module for these additional features.

Erm... yeah, I'm gonna say as much as I appreciate what librarians do it's really the writers that deserve the credit :-)

Never in the field of modular synthesis has so much been owed by so many to just one person* - thank you for this amazingly useful database.

*except Bob Moog or Don Buchla or maybe Morton Subotnik and then there's.......

Modular + Brainwash -realtime visuals

Thanks for your really full response Joem, I feel like I set you a homework essay or something ..,but your advice is really appreciated. I am new to modular, the nearest I come at the moment is a microbrute with the breakout patches, a friend is lending me a 1990s analogue solutions mini modular so you are right that time spent playing with the system 10 will give me a better idea of what I want to compliment it with....there's nowhere I can get hands on with the system 10 before I buy and all the demo s I've seen have focused on its gnarly sounds you've had yours for a bit does it do justice to the softer end of the sonic spectrum too ?

Cheers
lip

Liphippy, if you're new to modulars and kind of on a budget like me, I recommend doing like I did and getting your base and then playing with it until you have a better idea where you want it to go next. I thought I was going to mostly ignore the MIDI3 on this, but it makes for a great tap-able clock source (even without any midi plugged in), and the arpeggiator is a pleasant surprise... I didn't know it had that before I got it. In fact most of what I've been doing with it so far relies on both the arpeggiator and the clock output.

I've had the System 10.1 for about a week and wanted to get a feel for it before I looked into other things, since it's my first modular. Now that I've been playing with it, I've got a long (very expensive) list of things I'd love to add, but this plan here is just my next steps, and things I can afford now or soon. (I'd LOVE to get an Intellijel Metropolis sooooo much, but I can't do any $500+ modules right now.) On its own, the System 10 is a real nice monosynth and you can do some neat stuff with it, but I want more than a monosynth. I want more things to play with... more sound sources... more triggers... more CV sources... more performance inputs...

My first goals are to get more VCOs and LFOs and VCAs. Also, I want some reverb.

• The Qu Bit will have the reverb covered (until I can afford a bigger awesomer one).

• The Lightstrip seems like an awesome, small, and inexpensive little quick CV/gate source, and with the looping function it can be an LFO in some cases. And as much as I love my little midi keyboard, it'd be nice not to need it all the time for my modular.

• But the VERY FIRST addition I'm going to make is the Peaks. That's got LFO covered (2 of them!), but it can also be so many other things... It's got ADSR (2 of them!), it's got drums (bassdrum + snare drum!), and it's got a mini-sequencer! This is the most feature packed thing I've seen for this price.

This plan is still a work-in-progress. I'm also considering a MakeNoise Function in place of the Peaks, and I'd like a noise source and S&H, though that's not quite as important (at this stage) if I get the Peaks. I still have no idea what to do for more VCOs or VCAs yet. Plus I think most of what I buy is going to come from local shops (NYC, so there's a few) since I'm horribly impatient when it comes to this and don't want to wait for mail to arrive, so it depends on what they have in stock and recommend.

Hi Joem I also started a sys 10.1 + plan today - I aim to get the PGH in May so beginning to think about what else to put in the case - so why the modules you.ve chosen so far ? Just watched the tut for the qu bit, that is seriously cool despite the slightly wobbly looking knobs so now I gotta rethink , damn

I'm a professional beer cap/cork-sniffer myself.

This is the best use of that tiny hole in my rack. Seriously, no one needs another mult right? Or a blank spacer, who are we kidding? ;)

The only thing that would make this better is to stuff more vactrols into it. I wonder if you could squeeze three in there? I'm sure you could fit two.

But it's great as-is too.

Started with a PGH Modular System 10.1+ ($709), which this site added up to $736.

Thread: Rubicon

Nice one, thanks

Yep, same power header, same mounting holes. You'll be fine!

So i'm new to all this so might sound like a stupid question to the majority of you, but here goes..
Does the Intellijel Rubicon fit in a Doepfer case just like the doepfer modules? With the red stripe on the ribbon band at the bottom?? I've only got Doepfer and tiptop modules in there so far and don't want to fry anything in the rack..

Cheers Jase

ohh darn case ergonomics. i'm very "bauhaus" when it comes to flow. but damned if it isn't sometimes difficult to arrange things.

I will post some sound snippets from that modular in this thread:

You'll find some informations about that demo at the soundcloud clip information.

Thread: Change Log

Bump Marketplace Offers

If you edit an offer it will be bumped (bring up my post) to the top of the list.

Approved Manufacturer Specs

Manufacturer can approve the specs of their modules and lock them from further editing by users.
This should increase safety of power specs and prevent upload wars for the nicest panel graphic.
Approved specs are tagged with a nice seal icon which took me hours to make so you better like it.
E.G. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/gezeiten-ultima-ratio

Fair enough, but then we are discussing this on a site that allows you to decide on the best configuration of your minibar/liquor cabinet/wine cellar :-)

@mt3 I see. So this might come ...

I have missed this:
I would like having the ability to insert empty rows to anywhere in a system plan. An example: 4 rows are filled - I need to add an extra row between row 2 and 3 for more modulators and filters.
It's a pain (gigantic 1st world problem) to add an extra row at the bottom and then move all the modules of the lower half to make space in the middle...
-- KNYST

KNYST, as unicorn user you have the "swap row" function in your "edit" menu.
That should do the trick.
-- bj_gzp

Ah, yes, thanks! I just learned about that function, but forgot about it

Add more currencies for display (I don't mean another currency to enter in the edit option).
Users select a currency and price is converted.